Ten Questions to Ask Yourself....
1) What type of surroundings make you happy? A simple and airy room, or a cozy book filled room with a large comfy chair?
2) Can you stand a messy room? Or do you prefer order?
3) What is your favorite room in the house? And your least?
4) Are you a city girl (or guy) or a casual country girl (or guy)?
5) How much time, energy , money can you put into your home right now? Next month? In a year?
6) If you could make a change to one thing in your home, what would it be?
7) Do you have a favorite piece of furniture, accessory, or artwork that could be a starting point to your room?
8) If you could take a dream vacation anywhere in the world, where would it be? Could you translate that feeling into your home?
9) Is there someone in your life that inspires you? How do they live?
10) Do your decorating dreams correlate to the way you actually live? Does a formal dining room fit well into your laid back lifestyle?
In addition, start keeping an 'Inspiration Notebook.' Staple torn out magazine photos of rooms, fabric swatches, and decorating ideas that appeal to you.
*** Questions based out of Nate Berkus's decorating book entitled, Home Rules.