1) Arrange your books like art. Don't just fill in an entire book case with books, like you would see in your neighborhood library. Highlight your books. Group 3 or 5 together, and place with an eye-catching accessory.
2) Remember that bookcases don't neccessarily have to house books. There is not one book in the below picture, but rather a collection of bold keepsakes. This does NOT mean fill your bookcase with meaniless, dust collecting knickknacks. Select bigger and bolder accessories that stand out.
A few suggestions of items that can be placed in a bookcase include, but are limited to: candlesticks, decorative bowls, vases, decorative boxes, picture frames, sculptures, plants, baskets, etc...
3) Assymetrical grouping are best. Vary height of accessories, having everything the same height is boring and doesn't appeal to the eye.
4) Hang art/ mirrors over bookcase for an unique look.
5) Decorate your bookcase by theme. Fill your bookcase with a collection of something you love in varying sizes and designs.
6) Put smaller objects on the top and bigger items on the bottom, so the arrangement doesn't appear top heavy.
7) Remove jackets on books if actual book is more appealing.
8) If you don't really have books to use, look in second-hand stores.
9)Add something unusual and unexpected to your bookcase.
10) Try different arrangements. If you don't like it, try something else.